I just came across this article and am thoroughly pissed. :http://www.salon.com/2014/03/04/why_i_cant_stand_white_belly_dancers/#comments
Here are my issues with it.
1) Only white people are targeted. It’s okay for all other races to integrate and exchange, but not white people?( After some…
1) The reason white people are being targeted is they are an oppressive colonizing power. You will not understand racism or any other the other concepts being discussed in that article if you do not also understand the power imbalance between white people and people of color.
2. You do not understand the concept of racism. It isn’t a two-way street and you’re not only ignoring the history of racism and how it was invented, but ignoring that power imbalance that I mentioned earlier. The power structures left over from colonialism, imperialism, and slavery are still in effect. And before you go into the ‘don’t blame me for my ancestors’ bullshit go and re-read the 28 Common Racist Attitudes and Behaviors below.
Read the following resources to understand how racism against white people does not exist, and to understand these power imbalances. Do not bother responding until you have read all of them, as I promise any response or question you could come up with has already been addressed by them:
and this post is excellent
3. Do not cite anthropology when you do not understand it. In anthropology, they teach that cultures have autonomy and authority over their own traditions, including artistic traditions, like dance. We cannot change our culture, but it does not automatically mean that we are entitled to the traditions of other cultures. You also need to learn about the concepts of cultural appropriation and cultural patrimony.
Cultural appropriation is the misrepresentation and/or decontextualization of traditions from marginalized cultures by individuals in relatively privileged groups. It’s a concept from the social sciences, particularly anthropology, is researched quite extensively and specifically describes the involvement of a harmful/exploitative colonialist power dynamic. It reinforces stereotypes, Eurocentric beauty standards, racist colonial/imperial power dynamics, and in many cases can be a form of visual/symbolic dehumanization and is a step in committing genocide against a group of people. It applies to everything from mundane every day traditions to sacred and spiritual ones.
Cultural patrimony is the concept that a culture’s people collectively own their cultural traditions. It’s protected by a bunch of local, national and international laws in addition to intellectual property/copyright laws.
4. People willingly sharing their cultures with others is entirely different from people feeling entitled to those traditions and using them without their consent. You are also using the classic Well I Know Another Person From Your Group Who Disagrees! derailment.
5. You have it so backwards it’s disgusting. White culture is everywhere because of COLONIALISM, IMPERIALISM AND FORCED ASSIMILATION. White people having been forcing their culture on the rest of the world for over 500 years and you have the gall to complain about it now? Immigrants and people of color are the victims of hate crimes, discrimination and racism when they don’t assimilate to Western culture, and throughout the rest of the world Western clothing and traditions are still considered the standard because of the effects of colonialism/imperialism. You have a complete lack of understanding of history and context.
Go and reread the resources above to address
There is a HUGE difference between segregation and respecting and acknowledging another culture’s boundaries. No one’s saying you can’t learn about or appreciate other cultures, just that there is a difference between that and feeling entitled to and misusing another culture’s traditions. The fact that you equate the two shows you do not understand concepts or the dynamics in play at all.
You do not understand how cultures work, you do not understand racism or how it’s perpetuated, you literally have not idea about what you’re talking about at any level and are instead spreading misinformation.